Skip to main content

The Teacher is Being Schooled

Returning to the classroom for the first time in about 20 years.  Now that my daughter is a teenager and is becoming independent, even working herself now, my summers are mine again.  I'm taking two classes this summer, and sitting in one of them as I type this.  Starting this my own blog was actually an optional assignment, and since this is a course about writing that stresses the importance of teachers of writing being writers themselves, I thought I'd give it a try.  I've always enjoyed writing.  Maybe this will encourage me to be more intentional about it.  Anyway, in some ways things seem to have come full circle for me in the sense that a lot of what I am learning is about using writer's workshop and mentor texts, which is how I taught early in my career.  I find this fits my core beliefs and philosophies about how children learn best and it is a more authentic way for students to use writing in the classroom.  And in other ways, so much has changed with the use of technology.  I'm really getting excited about teaching writing again, which is something I have come to dread over the past several years.   Just a slice of my life in this moment as I sit and reflect on how important it is to continually learn and change and grow in this profession.

Comments

  1. I love that you write about being excited about writing again! It is so easy to get weighed down with all the testing, data, and drudgery of today's common core world. Keep writing and sharing your gift with your students and colleagues. We all benefit from what you have to give.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the kind words of encouragement. I am a first time blogger, so I was excited to see that I received a response. And yes, it is difficult not to get bogged down in the mire sometimes, but I'm feeling optimistic about the direction we are moving in now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful slice - I felt excitement, a bit of anxiousness, and inspired from your writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Aileen, for the words of encouragement and gentle nudges to step out of our comfort zones and explore the world of writing through technology and social media. And thanks for all you do to make this course so meaningful. Your insights and those of the presenters have really challenged and inspired me. I'm learning so much from everyone. I'll actually be sad for this to end on Friday. It's just so good to feel so excited about teaching and writing again.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rewriting My Story

Today in my graduate class, a literacy institute on writing, I met an amazing motivational speaker and author named Anne Schober.  As Anne shared her very personal story, a painful story that she had written down, I was moved to tears.  Her story made me cry for several reasons.  For one, her writing took me to the place she was physically and emotionally in that story -- a painful, lonely place of brokenness, despair, and shame.  For another, there was story of healing and empowerment that came from telling her story.  And I realized I was not only crying tears of both sadness and joy for her, I was also crying for me.  I was thinking of my own story right now and wondering if I could experience the kind of healing she has through writing.  During one of the writing exercises she had us do, I realized that the majority of the words I used to describe things about myself -- things on the outside that others can see and my thoughts on the inside that I hide--are negative.  And while Ann